FRAGRANCE THERAPY AND AROMA THERAPY – TACKLING HEALTH RELATED UNCERTAINTIES OF LIFE
Posted on April 4, 2020
by Sameer Keny
Leave a Comment
Hi friends the outbreak of the Novel Corona Virus world over and the extent of damage it is causing as I write this Blog post has inspired me to focus my post on this most pertinent subject in today’s context. Life has become so uncertain that we never know when we might contract some serious ailment. However if we follow a disciplined lifestyle, don’t smoke, don’t drink( or drink occasionally), eat healthier, drink lots of water, exercise regularly and follow the twin therapies Fragrance therapy and Aromatherapy, we can go a long way towards tackling the health related uncertainties of our life and making our lives stress free, and SUSEGAD, even in the face of severe ailments.
The use of essential oils for therapeutic, hygienic and religious purposes goes back to a number of ancient civilizations including the Egyptians, Greeks, Chinese, Indians and Romans. These oils were used regularly in cosmetics, perfumes and medicines. Distilled essential oils have been employed as medicines since the invention of distillation in the eleventh century.
Before we proceed further, let us first understand the difference between Aroma therapy and Fragrance Therapy. Aromatherapy is the treatment or prevention of disease by use of Natural Essential Oils. Other stated uses include pain and anxiety reduction, enhancement of energy and short-term memory, facilitating relaxation, hair loss prevention, and reduction of eczema-induced itching. Fragrance therapy on the other hand is the art and science of using fragrances for therapeutic use. The Fragrances are specifically designed to stimulate the smell receptors in the nose. These receptors then send messages to the emotional seat of the brain which rules over feelings, memory, behaviour and creativity. Naturally, the brain craves for the scents that elicit a positive mind-body experience such as relaxation, optimism and vitality. Aromatherapy is the more expensive option and involves the direct pharmacological effects of the essential oils. Undiluted essential oils suitable for aromatherapy are termed ‘therapeutic grade’, but there are no established and agreed standards for this category. So to avoid controversy, we at “Susegad-The Fragrance of Goa” haven’t got into the certifying aspects of our Natural Essential Oils and are presently offering them for Industrial applications and/or Fragrance therapy applications only. Our main focus area of research and business continues to be Fragrance Therapy. Compared to Aroma therapy, Fragrance therapy is a relatively cheaper option and involves the use of Perfumes, Attars, Air Fresheners, Fragrance Oils, Fragrance Vapourisers, Fragrance Candles and other Fragrance products, which create the necessary impact with their respective fragrances. Fragrance therapy actively involves the use of Natural Essential oils and all our Fragrance products contain their fair share of these key Natural ingredients.
Let us now evaluate some of these key Natural Essential oils and in what way they can be used to facilitate Wellness.
- LAVENDER: Lavender is one of the most popular essential oils. This oil has a sweet, floral and refreshing aroma and helps relieve headaches, depression, muscle spasms and has very good sedative and analgesic properties. It is used for massage, diffusion and bathing and helps in stimulating blood flow. It also has excellent stress-relieving properties. Lavender is a healing aid against colds, flu and migraine. Add a few drops to a diffuser or even your pillow before bedtime to get a good night’s sleep.
- PATCHOULI: This widely known essential oil, is known for its mood-lifting and powerful skincare properties. It is distilled from the leaves and twigs(known as Biomass) of the plant, and is native of the far east. It is used as a fragrance ingredient, insect repellent and for headaches and fever. It is also used in aromatherapy to treat skin complaints, in eczema, for varicose veins and haemorrhoids, in perfumes and soaps, as a massage oil, skin conditioner, for acne, scars, stretch marks and scratches. It is sedative, antiseptic, antidepressant, and aphrodisiac.
- EUCALYPTUS: Eucalyptus oil comes from the Nilgiri tree, native of Tamilnadu and is steam distilled from the leaves and twigs of the tree. It has a powerful scent and is easily recognizable. It is used extensively in treatment of coughs, colds, sore throats, flu, sinusitis, migraines, laryngitis, muscle aches, joint pains, ulcers, skin affections, asthma, bronchitis and rheumatism. This oil stimulates local blood flow. It is antibiotic, antiviral, antifungal, antiseptic and is used in expectorants and Balms. It is used for bathing, massage, inhalation, diffusion and in insect repelling.
- PEPPERMINT: Peppermint has a cooling, refreshing effect and is widely used to enhance mental alertness. This oil is obtained by steam distillation of the flowering herb and is produced in India. It has a penetrating odour and the main chemical component is Menthol. It improves dull and oily skin and is used in creams, toners and lotions. It is also used to treat oily scalps and is used as a hair conditioner. It prevents the infestation of ants, plant lice and types of beetles, mice, etc and is a mosquito and flea repellent. It is also used in the making of perfumes and scented products. It is used in vaporizers, massage oils and even toothpastes and mouthwash. It is a cooling agent that enhances mood, sharpens focus, combats irritation and redness, alleviates symptoms of congestion, and aids in digestion.
- BASIL(TULSI): Basil(Tulsi) is revered as a sacred herb in India and it has a warm, herbaceous scent. The oil is obtained by steam distillation of the flowering herb and helps relieve Stress, Sinusitis, headache, muscle stiffness, anxiety, depression, panic attacks, insomnia and nausea. It is also provides relief against indigestion, insect bites, bacterial infections, hair loss, insomnia, menstrual cramps, intestinal problems and is used in massage, bathing, inhalation, diffusion.
- CINNAMON LEAF OIL: This oil is steam distilled from the leaf, and is native to India and Sri Lanka. It has a strong, spicy cinnamon scent and is used for treating colds, flu, rheumatism, kidney ailments, muscular pain, arthritis, mouth hygiene, digestive and menstrual problems. It stops vomiting and relieves flatulence. It is antiseptic, astringent and is anti-spasmodic and anti-viral.
- LEMON GRASS OIL : This oil is produced by steam distillation of the leaves and is native of India. It has a fresh, lemony scent and is used as a culinary flavouring, in Perfumery industry and in medicine. Lemongrass tea is used in treating digestive problems, diarrhoea and stomach aches. It is a fever-reducing herb, applied externally as a poultice or as diluted oil to ease pain and arthritis. It is digestive, antiseptic, refreshing, antispasmodic and analgesic.
- FRANKINCENSE OIL: This oil is obtained by steam distillation of the oleo-gum-resin and is imported from Africa. It has a spicy, balsamic aroma and is used for treating colds, muscle aches, arthritis, urinary infections, nose bleeds, laryngitis, and claustrophobia. It is used to calm the mind and lift the spirits and for skin care and scars, in meditation and in cosmetics, It is anti-inflammatory, stimulant. It may be used for diffusion, massage, bathing and inhalation.
- CITRONELLA OIL: This oil is obtained by steam distillation of the grass cultivated in different parts of India. It has a fresh grassy-woody scent. It is used for rheumatic pain, colds, flu, neuralgia, arthritis, melancholy, fever, intestinal parasites, digestive and menstrual problems, excessive perspiration, oily skin, minor infections, fatigue, headaches, migraine, insomnia, as a stimulant and mosquito repellent. It can be used for massage, bathing, diffusion and as a pet bedding freshener.
- GERANIUM OIL: This is an expensive oil, steam distilled from the leaves of the plant and which has an exotic, leafy, rosy scent. It helps in relieving stress, PMS, fatigue, nervous exhaustion. It also helps in lifting melancholy and repelling insects and acts as a cicatrisant. It is also used in perfumery and skin care. It is astringent, anti-inflammatory, anti-bacterial, stimulant and antiseptic.
I have covered only a few Natural Essential Oils and their benefits. In addition to these, there are quite a few more which are regularly being used as ingredients in our products and have their own importance. It is quite obvious that Fragrance products manufactured by using Natural Essential oils are bound to have a significant impact on the Wellness of the Users. Though it is difficult to quantify the exact benefits, the overall experience in itself gives a clear understanding to the user as to what difference these products have made in his/her life. Today in this testing period of lock down, my family continues to be reasonably insulated against the negativity spread all around due to Corona Virus. We continue to exude positive thoughts and feelings, are sincerely appreciating the quality time we have been able to spend with one another due to the crisis and are trying to make the most out of it. This is the basic foundation of the Concept of “Susegad”. On the long term basis the concept of “Susegad” and the use of such scientifically designed Fragrance products, is bound to improve the overall Immunity of the Users and support the body in its fight against dangerous and life threatening Viruses like Corona Virus and many other ailments. So welcome to the World of Susegad. “Keep Smelling, Keep Smiling”